Monday 27 November 2017

Indonesian Sambal

Selamat sore or good evening!

When I was working in the hotel industry long time ago, I had many friends from different country working at the same department with me. I had one Indonesian friend who taught me how to make Indonesian style sambal. Sambal is a spicy chilli paste made with assorted chilli, shallot, garlic, prawn paste and salt and sugar. Sambal is popular in Indonesia and Malaysia. We eat sambal with the main meal as a side dishes and some people could eat sambal all the time and without sambal on the side, the meal seems not complete.

There are many types of sambals with slightly different ingredients but this is my most favourite sambal recipe and also favourite to my family and I made it every time we had a family gathering.




INDONESIAN SAMBAL

Ingredients;

2 tomatoes, cut into small pieces
4 big red chilli, sliced
4-5 small chilli, sliced
3-4 shallots, sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
1/2 teaspoon prawn paste
Salt and sugar to taste
Oil

METHOD;

- Heat up about 1/4 cup oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add all ingredients except salt and sugar, cook for 5-10 minutes or until the chilies and tomatoes are soften.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and sugar.
- Blend or pound everything into fine or coarse paste, I prefer my sambal a bit coarse and wetter.
- This sambal goes well with rice and any fried food!

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2024

 Hello,  Well, just a short update to wish everyone a very happy new year 2024.  Wishing everyone a joyous new year full of love, hope and p...

About Me

My photo
Salut, je suis une personne ouverte et facile à vivre! I love cooking and spending time in the kitchen. Although I love to cook, I'm still learning a lot by watching cooking shows and reading cookbooks. Since cooking is my passion, I also love to sharing it with others and learning new things every day in every way. For me, home cooking should be simple, easy yet so tasty.