Monday 27 April 2020

Kuih Tepung Gomak

Hello,

I am not an expert at making traditional Malay sweets, but it was a challenge for me since there were no street food vendors like in Asia. It is impossible to find vendors on the street here, so I make my own Malay traditional sweet called 'kuih tepung gomak'. These sweet snack popular in east coast region in Malaysia like Kelantan and Terengganu. I remember I had eaten these sweets once and I like it because of the texture.


It's not a complicated kuih to make, I even grind the green mung bean for coating to a fine flour but mine more like coarse wheat flour, rough textures. I made a sweet peanut filling instead of coconut and a sweet red bean paste works too.



KUIH TEPUNG GOMAK

Ingredients;

150g glutinous rice flour
120ml water, more or less
A pinch of salt

For filling;
100g coarsely ground roasted peanuts
100g brown sugar
50ml water

For the coating;
80g green mung bean
- Bake green mung bean for 5-8 minutes at 180°. Grind beans into find flour for coating.

METHOD;

- Prepare the filling first by boiling water and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Add peanuts, stirring for a couple of minutes until peanuts are evenly coated. Set aside.
- Mix glutinous flour, salt and add water little by little and mix well until it forms into a soft dough and not sticky. If dough is too soft, add a little more glutinous flour and vice versa.
- Divided into small ball, flatten the ball and add the filling in the middle. Seal well and shape into ball and flatten to desired thickness.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, slowly put the balls in and when the balls cooked, it will float to the surface. Gently stir if the balls stick to the bottom.
- Remove the floating balls with slotted spoon and coat the balls in the green bean flour.

Enjoy kuih tepung gomak!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2024

 Hello,  Well, just a short update to wish everyone a very happy new year 2024.  Wishing everyone a joyous new year full of love, hope and p...

About Me

My photo
Salut, je suis une personne ouverte et facile à vivre! I love cooking and spending time in the kitchen. Although I love to cook, I'm still learning a lot by watching cooking shows and reading cookbooks. Since cooking is my passion, I also love to sharing it with others and learning new things every day in every way. For me, home cooking should be simple, easy yet so tasty.