Saturday 12 November 2016

Spiced Vegetables Soup

Bonjour,

Winter is coming and people often make soup during the fall and winter. This Malay style spiced vegetable soup that I made last month similar to the soto soup recipe from my previous post. The original recipe called sup tulang or soup with beef bones, the recipe that I adapted from Azlita masam manis blog. I did not add beef bones in this soup, is just simple as vegetarian soup.

The soup turned out pretty tasty with taste of leek and celery and I like to serve it with rice noodles and some other condiments like cucumber, fried shallot, salted radish and chillies with soy sauce.



 SPICED VEGETABLES SOUP

Ingredients;

2 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
4 cloves
2 cardamom
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon spiced powder, add little bit water to make paste
1 carrot, slices or cubes
2 potato, cubes
1-1 1/2 cups water
Coriander and fried shallot for garnishing
Salt and pepper to taste

To blend to a fine paste;
4 shallot
2 clove garlic
2cm ginger
1/2 carrot
1 medium leek, white part only
1 medium piece celery root

METHOD;

- Heat up oil and butter in a medium saucepan and fry cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and cardamom for a few second.
- Add sliced onion and fry until onion soft and turn to brown colour.
- Add the blended paste nad continue to fry for a few minutes or until the paste are slightly dry.
- Add in the spiced powder paste and cook for another minutes.
- Pour in water and add carrot and potato cubes.
- Bring to boil for 10-15 minutes or until the potato and carrot are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper and lastly add coriander and fried shallot.
- Turn off the heat, serve the soup with rice or just add rice vermicelli and other side condiments.

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2024

 Hello,  Well, just a short update to wish everyone a very happy new year 2024.  Wishing everyone a joyous new year full of love, hope and p...

About Me

My photo
Salut, je suis une personne ouverte et facile à vivre! I love cooking and spending time in the kitchen. Although I love to cook, I'm still learning a lot by watching cooking shows and reading cookbooks. Since cooking is my passion, I also love to sharing it with others and learning new things every day in every way. For me, home cooking should be simple, easy yet so tasty.