Monday 5 September 2016

Indonesian Sambal

Selamat sore..

One of the common greeting in Indonesian language, selamat sore means good afternoon. I like to speak in Indonesian language as well because for me they have a soft accent and its nice to hear it.

When I was travel in various places in Indonesia, most of the local people think that I'm Indonesian just because I could speak their language fluently. I can just as easily go everywhere and buy something cheaper as local people not as a tourist.

Indonesia has variety of food from sweet to very spicy food just like any other country in Asia. Sambal or hot chili sauce is everywhere across the region. Every region of Indonesia has their own sambal and for many Indonesians, no food taste right without sambal on the side.


SAMBAL BAJAK

Ingredients;

5-10 small red chili
2-3 big red chili
4 shallot
1 tomato
1 teaspoon prawn paste
1 lemongrass, mashed
1 tablespoon tamarind juice
Salt and brown sugar to taste

METHOD;

- Blend chillies, shallot, tomato and prawn paste.
- Heat up little oil in a saucepan and fry the blended spice paste and lemongrass for a few minute.
- Add tamarind juice and taste with salt and sugar. Add little bit of water if desire. Continue to cook until the water reduced and the color turns slightly darker.



SAMBAL MERAH PADANG

Ingredients;

5-10 small red chili
2 big red chili
4 shallot
1 cloves garlic
1-2 tomato
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt, sugar to taste

METHOD;

- Blend chillies, shallot, garlic and tomato.
- Heat up little oil in a saucepan and fry blended chili paste until fragrant.
- Add a little bit water, lemon juice and season with salt and sugar.
- Stir and continue to cook until the sauce are slightly thickens.

Selamat makan semua..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2024

 Hello,  Well, just a short update to wish everyone a very happy new year 2024.  Wishing everyone a joyous new year full of love, hope and p...

About Me

My photo
Salut, je suis une personne ouverte et facile à vivre! I love cooking and spending time in the kitchen. Although I love to cook, I'm still learning a lot by watching cooking shows and reading cookbooks. Since cooking is my passion, I also love to sharing it with others and learning new things every day in every way. For me, home cooking should be simple, easy yet so tasty.